When I define motivation, I look at two components. First, motivation is the desire or willingness to do something. Second, motivation is made up of the reasons for behaving in a particular way. Motivation, when encouraged, is a powerful force in our lives.
Motivation and Health
Motivation is a critical part of maintaining a healthy body, mind and spirit. Without motivation, we have no desire to accomplish our goals and tasks. We must identify what drives us to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
We all have unique things that motivate us. Maybe you’re motivated to exercise to set a good example for your children and live a long, positive life with them. Maybe you are driven to meditate every day because you know it calms your mind and allows you to perform better at work and at play. No matter what it is, it’s important. Here are some ways to keep you “in the zone” of being motivated.
5 Ways to Stay Motivated
- List. Make a list of five things that motivate you to stick to your healthy habits and post it in a place you will see daily.
- Eat a healthy diet. When you feel good, you feel like doing more! Eating a balanced diet will give you the mental clarity to stay focused and the physical energy to tackle each day.
- Practice positive self-talk. Whether in your mind or spoken aloud, positive statements can make a world of difference in our lives. Tell yourself you CAN accomplish things, you WILL be successful and you DESERVE the best!
- Set goals. All successful people have goals. The old adage goes “A dream without a goal is just a wish.” Do more than wish; take action on your goals. Write them down! Include small success markers, as well as long-term goals.
- Check in with an accountability partner. Whether your partner is a trainer, your friend or your mom, make a pact with someone to keep you on track. Check in regularly to report on your successes and to encourage each other.
- Schedule wisely. Schedule your priorities into your day. Make time for what is important and learn to say “no” to some of the lesser demands.
As you can see, a lot goes into motivation. I’d like to help you get motived and stay that way. Contact me, Charles Thomas, if you would like someone to work side-by-side with you in the environment you are most comfortable in.
Charles Thomas is a licensed, insured, mobile Personal Trainer certified by the International Sports and Science Association. With over two decades of personal training experience, Charles has helped to improve physical fitness and enhance the quality of life for his clients who range from young children to seniors. His in-depth knowledge of anatomy, physiology, biomechanics and nutrition has benefited hundreds of clients throughout the Washington, DC area.
Let me make you unstoppable.
Call 571-335-6878 to schedule and start your personalized journey to a healthier you.